As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This means that if a reader clicks on a link or an image of the product, we may receive a commission. There is no additional cost to you — it helps pay for hosting and server costs. And it does not affect the quality of the content, as we always recommend our readers the best sources.
Was your drone shut down from inadequate battery exactly when I expected to take some more fantastic adventures?
The good news was that the surroundings were great for an awesome flying experience, but unluckily, you unexpectedly realized where you have left the charger – thousands of miles away? What a bad fate!
Everybody may have such an experience or the comparative experience.
But life is simply too short to worry over things like that. You have us. Below, we have provided the specifics about how to charge a drone without a charger to continue doing the significant stuff.
Hold a second… One thing to note – in this guide, we also mention drones as UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles), unmanned aircraft, flying machines, flying robots, or automation.
- 1 1. USB
- 2 2. The charger and batteries from another UAV
- 3 3. How to charge a drone without a charger but from the battery of your vehicle with the lightbulb regulator
- 4 4. How to charge a drone without a charger but from one resistor and direct current source
- 5 5. Voltage and electric current from the bench power supply
- 6 Final words
It has to do with the flying robot model. A few smaller UAVs do not come with removable batteries and the user has the choice to use a USB to charge them. A portion of the mini drones feature small charging stations as well as removable batteries; however, you have the option to let the battery stay in the robot and count on a USB for its recharging.
The USB port tends to have a five-volt connector. Truth be told, the unmanned aircraft vehicle likely relies on a similar li-on battery innovation and standard charger chip.
Please bear in mind that the robot may utilize a certain sort of fast-charge innovation that your phone charger fails to support, yet the lone impact of such a thing will be that it will take longer to charge.
Obviously, you had better check out your UAV’s manual, or possibly the charger’s print which accompanied your robot. Still, more often than not, it is less complex for a UAV maker to utilize a standard USB charger when compared to counting on an alternate standard.
How to charge a drone without a charger but with the USB?
- You will charge it using the cord coming with it.
- It has a USB cable which you have the option to plug into the PC USB port for recharging it. Else, it is fine to utilize a USB wall charger.
- Keep in mind that a little USB connector tends to be on the UAV’s front, and the drone battery should be in the drone when it is recharging.
2. The charger and batteries from another UAV
In case the chargers and batteries of your flying machine are not accessible for it, we suggest using another robot, a charger, and some batteries. One robot is only occasionally enough as one is likely to immediately turn out to be none, and we recommend your best second or third robot is the one which utilizes similar controllers and batteries to your first product unit.
Please note that LiPo batteries can get harmed with a breeze by wrong/ bad management; that is why you should be certain whatever charger you leverage is viable with the system. For your information, a couple of the most excellent after-market chargers are likely to assist in ‘balancing’ the UAV’s cells and come with highlights for discharging batteries to the most favorable degree for capacity.
That is not all; continuously keep an eye on your drone’s batteries when they are charging, and think about using a metal storage/ charging station, such as a tool kit, in which the lid will be remained shut to restrict the measure of oxygen that may reach the LiPo in the event that something turns out badly.
Of a couple of batteries we have for our automation models, regardless of the best of reasons, some of them got swole and quit holding the charge. It is indeed imperative that you look into the status of the battery under a load prior to a flight; thus, we suggest drifting or flying your drone close by until you see your battery is behaving prior to aiming at no matter what mission. Bear in mind that an inert battery may test alright, and afterward, fall flat in almost no time under a load,
3. How to charge a drone without a charger but from the battery of your vehicle with the lightbulb regulator
You can charge the battery of your drone from your vehicle battery. And, for example, we utilized three Christmas lights at the same time as the power regulator for having a large portion of an amp to come into the drone’s battery.
Below is the way it works:
- The heat of the filament will be higher when the electric current via the lightbulb rises. This expands the resistance, thus restricting the current.
- As our UAV’s battery is at around seven volts and our vehicle (car) battery is at about thirteen volts, six volts will be over the lightbulb. Hence, we placed three bulbs together with and at the same time to reach around half of an ampere to get into the battery. We are ensured that under 0.6 amperes will move in since that may wear out the lightbulbs.
- This is certain protection to stay away from reverse-charging; with that being said, make certain you connect the – terminals and the + terminals properly.
- Remain there for about twenty minutes until the battery gets an adequate charge for your drone to work as normal. You have the choice to make calls on the phone and all that.
Pro safety tips and warnings:
- Try not to leave this not being watched. Also, do not endeavor to completely charge your battery.
- It is fine to securely trickle charge your robot’s rechargeable battery part way. However, completely charging the battery without completely grasping the rules for the particular sort of battery is unsafe.
- In case you charge for an overly extended time and your drone battery gets more than needed volts, terrible things may occur – for instance, bursting into flames.
- Vehicle (car) batteries are likely to generate a combination of H and O2 that some spark may ignite. The subsequent blast showers H2SO4 all over. Try not to allow such a thing to occur to you.
- You can simply get the battery voltage from the cigar lighter in your vehicle, a long way from the blast danger.
- Likewise, do not injure yourself by electric shock. We have not known about anybody being electrically shocked by a vehicle battery, but we have known about some other mishaps portrayed above really occurring.
4. How to charge a drone without a charger but from one resistor and direct current source
We hope that you have a power meter.
Discover a source of direct current (DC) power. Check out the battery’s voltage aside from the source’s voltage, and utilize Ohm’s law so that you can sort out what sort of resistor you should count on to place between both for reaching the proper flow of current. At that point, go get such an electric resistor; the heating component from your hair dryer or the toaster may be fine.
As found in the above way, the most fantastic spontaneously generated power regulator is, more often than not, a little bulb. The lightbulb is indeed extraordinary in light of the fact that the electric resistance has become much higher as the heat of the filament increases and the filament limits the electric current. Furthermore, you just have the choice to get an ampere and whatnot through one and not consume it out at the same time; that is why it goes about as its fuse.
For example, we utilized two small light bulbs arranged so that the power current flows through each successively to restrict the electric current passing into a gel cell. Quantify what power current flows through the lightbulb at various voltages by utilizing the multimeter. Else, you have the option to cowboy it and leverage a minuscule bulb for a couple of moments, and at the same time, feel to check whether the heat from the battery becomes higher or not.
Do not forget to put on eye protection. Also, avoid inhaling the fumes.
5. Voltage and electric current from the bench power supply
How to charge a drone without a charger using this way?
It relies on the bench electric supply for the battery charging. A ton of you may have those by your side regardless of whether you fail to seek out your cell charger. Or on the other hand, you may have an idea of where to look for an electronics fellow that has owned one.
Then what? Look up the likes of lithium-metal batteries charge management. The stuff is all significant in case you need to completely charge the battery, lead it to get through a lot of charge cycles or stay away from lawsuits.
However, if you simply need to use it for a while not too long, this is what you can do:
Turn the voltage cum electric current knobs to the left side. Switch on the electric supply; follow with attaching it to the battery, remembering that dark and red power wires may get connected to the incorrect electric sockets. Peruse the labels and remove the plug from the socket in the event that it is – by all accounts, electric arc welding on the battery.
Increase the current and voltage limit knobs until proper amps are passing in the battery. In case you want to be more cautious, check out how much electric current the specialists leverage.
Above are the most practical ways on how to charge a drone without a charger. In case you truly need to do some other tasks when charging the UAV’s battery, you should connect something to break the connection of it following a couple of minutes.
The general purpose of doing so is, you will not completely charge your drone’s battery since you may have none of the foggiest ideas on how, and you are in a rush. In other words, you will be highly likely to charge it adequately to return to the necessary undertakings with your flying robot. For example, our drone’s battery boasts of 1200 milliamperes/ hours of limit. Thus, in case it is completely discharged and we choose to charge it at 0.5 amperes, then completely charging it may take over 120 minutes.
As you know, overcharging can seriously harm a few sorts of batteries while some are simply harmed a bit.
Well, so for the utmost safety, appreciate your flying experience warily!