As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This means that if a reader clicks on a link or an image of the product, we may receive a commission. There is no additional cost to you — it helps pay for hosting and server costs. And it does not affect the quality of the content, as we always recommend our readers the best sources.
Drones are an apprehension source for a lot of individuals because of the privacy and safety concerns they seem to compound. With that being said, everybody can agree with the idea of utilizing these flying robots to spare lives. This is the reason firefighters find adding them to their team is beneficial.
As you know, fire departments place the lives of people in their hands. They need the best innovation so that they can settle on the best choices. We do not think anyone is going to disagree with that.
Drones are to firemen what bomb-defusing robots should be to the Special Weapons And Tactics Unit (SWAT): these flying machines are an approach to investigate an incredibly hazardous circumstance without promptly tossing an individual into damage’s way. In addition, they can give an aerial perspective of situations such as burning buildings a lot more quickly and cost-effectively when compared to a conventional helicopter.
So what drones are the most suitable for firefighters? Well typically, some of the most significant criteria for firemen’s flying robots are:
- How easily will they melt?
- Ease of use
In view of that, the following models may be the best options for your local group of firefighters.
Please note that in this article, we also refer to drones as UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles), unmanned aircraft, flying machines, flying robots, or automation.
1. 3DR IRIS+ (915) Quadcopter – by 3DRobotics
In case you are looking for a well-priced option, consider this 3DR. While you need to supply your own GoPro, you can control the camera by means of a cell phone.
What is more, the platform itself is substantially more adjustable and has a considerable network of DIY-ers that can assist prospective pilots in programming the automaton to fly particular missions. This model is unquestionably the automaton for the local group of firefighters that desire to make the UAV their own!
- Remote controller that has on-screen telemetry for intermediate data as you operate the drone
- 915 MHz Radio for the U.S.
- The flying time of up to 22 minutes
- Compatible with Tarot Gimbal
- Follow Me mode: Helps track your mobile device
- Is capable of drawing autopilot flight plans with the app
- Built-in LEDs on ever arm for easy directional awareness
- Autonomous or manual flying
- Capture aerial video/ photos using a GoPro
- Wifi for control using an Android device
2. Yuneec Q500 4K Typhoon Quadcopter Drone RTF – Yuneec
As you know, in emergency circumstances, less tends to be more. In the event that a firefighter needs to see the top of a building about five minutes prior, odds are he would not like to mess with an automaton, the controller, as well as his phone.
This model from Yuneec comes with a LED screen installed in the controller, and every control for the camera is close enough for the thumbsticks. You will not ever need to take a hand off the controller to alter the camera, shoot an image, or take a video. Besides, the downlink image of the product unit is one of the best out there.
In case you happen to be a fire head who is thinking about getting an automaton for your team, we recommend you check out this Yuneec Q500.
- Handheld SteadyGrip which is useful for capturing video footage
- User controlled video resolution, light exposure, as well as white balance. Twelve megapixel photos with No-Distortion lens
- 1080p/120 fps slow-motion video
- 4K/30 fps Ultra HD (high definition) video
- Built-in three-axis precision gimbal camera
- Personal Ground Station with integrated touchscreen
3. DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ V3.0 Quadcopter – by DJI
The Phantom from DJI is the evident competitor out of the gate. Its Vision 2+ is not cheap; however, it has the full package: HD camera, three-axis gimbal, live streaming video capacities perfect with the cell phones that firefighters already have ready in their pockets, and even autonomous flight by means of the Ground Station attribute in the mobile application. That is why you will be able to point out waypoints and allow the automaton to fly itself.
What is more? You may love that this model can take up extreme heat. In case you do not know, Eric Cheng of DJI directed his own test by operating the drone into Iceland’s active volcano. The result is, on the one hand, the GoPro melted as it got excessively near the lava; on the other hand, the UAV itself stayed flawless.
- More flight power cum security from the top-efficiency self-tightening drone propellers
- Extended flight times of as long as 25 minutes from the smart 5,200-mAh battery
- Extra-clear stills and live streaming recordings from the impressive HD video camera with integrated FPV link
- Super seamless video owing to the three-axis gimbal
So, at the end of the day, can you find the best answer to the question “which are the best drones for firefighting?”? We do hope that after reading through the top picks above, you will be able to find the best fits for your needs and wants.
If you are working in emergency response or fire safety and are working with an automaton, we do love to catch wind of your experiences. Else, in case you have any other favorite model for this purpose, feel free to share it with us!
Again, do not hesitate to tell us your story or simply leave a comment below.